2A AP Government 4-20-20
Today I wanted to go over the topics that were covered in the second unit. This unit is the Foundations of American Democracy.
Some things to focus on:
- Linkage Institutions
- Congressional Oversight
- Executive Powers and Executive Acts
- Judicial Review and Judicial Precedent (Stare de decisis)
Topics may include:
- The structures, powers, and functions of each house of Congress
- The roles and powers of the president
- The roles and powers of the Supreme Court and other federal courts
- The roles of the federal bureaucracy (departments, agencies, commissions, and government corporations)
The first thing I would do is look at this list and then write down everything that comes to your mind down on a sheet of paper. Then go to your textbook and see what things you might not have on your list. Start looking over the things that you did not have on your list.
The second thing I would do is determine which principles of government are being focused on in this unit. When you are constructing your answer for the exam you should address which principle of government would be present within your answer.
The next step would be to create a list of 10 – 15 vocabulary words that apply specifically to this unit. You should not just know the word but be able to incorporate that word into a discussion. You should also know the definition well enough to be able to use it in a different context or as a compression and contrast.
Khan Academy Resources
- Congress: The Senate and the House of Representatives
- Structures, powers, and functions of Congress
- Congressional behavior
- Roles and powers of the president
- Checks on the presidency
- Expansion of presidential power
- Presidential communication
- The judicial branch
- Legitimacy of the judicial branch
- The Court in action
- Checks on the judicial branch
- The bureaucracy
- Discretionary and rule-making authority
- Holding the bureaucracy accountable
- Policy and the branches of government
Review Video to Watch